Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Week 21 - The Strengthening Power of the Atonement

Hello family and friends!

Scripture of the Week: Moroni 10:32 Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and if ye shall deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all you might, mind, and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect  in Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God.”

I had a pretty great week, I guess you could say it was a ´spiritually-stacked´ week. We had lots of really cool experiences this week. We had the wonderful experience to hear the worldwide broadcast from Church leaders this week; a broadcast for all of the missionaries in the entire world!! I felt so blessed to hear from the Apostles: Elder Andersen, and Elder Bednar, as well as several other Church leaders. They focused so much on simply loving those around us, and how we can serve others better. I learned just how important the principle of repentance is this week. I have truly been able to feel the cleansing and strengthening power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I know that he suffered for our sins, that he died for us, and that he was resurrected. I am so grateful for that knowledge. 

We had another wonderful lesson this week with a family, and I was able to invite them to be baptized on the 6th of February, and they accepted! They are so excited to learn more and to strengthen their faith in Christ. We were also able to have several ´Noches de Hogar´ with members here in La Paz, where we basically just teach a simple lesson, and we invite them to bring their friends and family members that do not know very much about the Church. We were able to watch a video about the Restoration of the Church of Jesus Christ, and they were just so wonderful. 

I had a couple sad experiences this week. I normally don’t like to share sad experiences, but I am going to do it anyway, haha. This week, we were looking for some people that other missionaries had taught before, and we found the house, and I asked for this person, and the man responded, and told me it was his daughter, and responded rudely, saying, “but dont think of doing anything, in this house we are of a different religion, so better for you guys to stay away.”  It made me sad that there are some people out in the world like that. As missionaries, we are representatives of Jesus Christ, and our purpose is to serve those around us, and help them come closer to Christ. It makes me a little bit sad because people just don’t understand our purpose as missionaries. I just wish so badly that everyone would accept our message! Its a message of hope, faith, happiness, and it all centers on Jesus Christ! 

This week we also had Stake Conference, where all of the congregations from La Paz, gathered together, for one big special church service. And our mission president, President Velez, and his wife came! And not only that, but the Tijuana temple president, President Hinckley, and his wife came too!! And another Church leader named Elder Mendoza. It was such a treat to have them all here and to hear of their messages. I felt the Spirit so strongly throughout this weekend as we were able to hear from these Church leaders. I learned about just how important reading the scriptures with real intent is. When we read the scriptures with a real desire to feel the Spirit, we can learn so much more! 

I am so grateful for the many wonderful spiritual experiences this week, and for the things I have been able to learn. More than anything, this week I learned just how wonderful a blessing it is to have a knowledge and testimony of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. To know that he suffered for our sins, and that he knows how we feel when we experience trials. I know that through the Atonement, we can purified and strengthened. We can become better. No matter how many times we fall, when we put our faith in him, and try to be better, He is always there to lift us up. 

-- 

Elder Daines

No comments:

Post a Comment