Monday, April 11, 2016

Week 31 - Huddled Around a Small Computer

Hey guys!

This week was so so so great. I think it is safe to say that it was probably my favorite week in the mission! San Jose is the best ever! I love it here so much. It is so pretty, the people are so awesome, and we were able to see several miracles and spiritual experiences this week! Not only that, but for ten hours this weekend, I got to be huddled around a small computer with 4 other missionaries to be able to hear the inspired words of our Prophet, Thomas S. Monson, as well as other Church leaders. 

First off, my companion, Elder Wright, is the bomb! Not to mention the fact he shares the same last name as my best friend, Matt Wright, he's so great! He strangely reminds me a lot of Matt, haha. He already has over a year in the mission, but he seems just as excited to work as if it was his first day in the mission. He is such a good example to me, and he really loves being in the service of the Lord. I love to see how much he loves the members and the people we are teaching as well. It helps me really want to be better, to be more Christlike. 

We had a lot of really cool experiences this week! We visited a family we are teaching twice this week, and had the opportunity to teach them this week about the importance of keeping the commandments. The father has had some personal difficulties for a time now, but in the moment we were teaching the lesson, he stopped us and commented of his desire to change, and how he wants to be a better example to his family, a better husband and father. It was a really cool experience for me, to see how willing he was to make personal sacrifices for his family, and for God, to be able to come closer to Him. 

We also had several other super cool teaching experiences this week, I was able to feel the Spirit with me so often throughout this week, not only in lessons, but as we were walking through the street as well. Elder Wright is not afraid to talk to people, even if we pass by them and have to turn around to share a simple truth about the gospel of Jesus Christ with them. On Thursday, we had an appointment with a guy about our age. He has been coming to church for a couple weeks now, and is excited to listen to us. We spoke about the life of Jesus Christ, and about the importance of Christ's ministry on the earth. He was super interested about it, and really excited to learn more. He has so much faith. Elder Wright and I were totally on the same page, and I know that in that moment God was with us, as we were able to testify of the blessing of baptism, and he accepted our invitation for him to be baptized! It was such a cool experience, and I am super excited to keep meeting with him, he is the best!

We finished out the week with General Conference, which is where the Prophet of the Church, and other Church leaders speak about key doctrinal points of Christ's gospel. Here in San Jose, there are some more Americans than in La Paz, and so I was able to watch it in English, which was awesome! One couple from Texas brought us chocolate chip cookies on Saturday, and brownies on Sunday! Both of which were to.die.for. They were without a doubt the best cookies and brownies I have ever eaten. But back to the important stuff, I loved all of the talks so much, and I can testify that God answers our prayers through the words of His servants. I feel so uplifted and strengthened after this amazing weekend. I know God will give us strength when we need it most, when we place our trust in Him. I know that He can make us more than we could ever achieve by ourselves. I am so grateful to have a loving Heavenly Father who sacrificed His Only Begotten Son for me, and for each of us, so that we can be saved. I love my God and my Savior so much. 

-- 

Elder Daines





No comments:

Post a Comment